2017 Formula Challenge season
|Platform Used||rFactor 2|
|Mod Used||Williams JPH1B F2 modified|
|Engine Supplier(s)||GPVWC 3500cc NA V6|
|Tyre Supplier(s)||GPVWC brand G|
|Formula Challenge Seasons|
|2012 · 2013 · 2014 · 2015 · 2016 · 2017 · 2018 · 2019|
|GPVWC series in 2017|
Teams and drivers
The amount of team slots remained at 16 for the 2016 season, with the GPVWC Management citing a desire to promote quality over quantity in GPVWC series in 2017. Notably, the league-owned GPVWC Academy team expanded to 2 cars in 2017, following the discontinuation of the Open Series.
- Cosmo Autosport, Deltec Racing Team, Draig Racing, Epic Racing, Hinss Motorsport and Zedderick Racing were all promoted to the Supercup.
- MadCape Racing Team were promoted to the Superleague.
- BackMarker Brigade, Sportscar Driving Evolution and Tēafor Motorsport all did not continue into the 2017 season.
- Apex Racing and Eval Simracing Team were initially accepted onto the 2017 grid but withdrew from the series just before the pre-season test. They were replaced by newcomers to the Career Ladder NEX E-Sports Club after their Masters Series venture, and Downforce Racing, making their return as a fully-fledged outfit after fielding a single-car entry as the precursor to the GPVWC Academy in 2015.
- EJ Engineering, Holland Racing Team, NEX E-Sports Club, Red Arrow Racing, STAX Racing, The Mighty Forth, THUnderdog, TR Motorsports and TTF Racing were all rookies to the career ladder in the 2017 season. Following the removal of NEX E-Sports Club from the series for poor attendance, they were replaced by newcomers MDR Motorsports.
- The series switched from turbocharged 4-cylinder engines to naturally aspirated V6 engines for 2017.
- Setup options were simplified, placing a greater emphasis on driver skill.
- The wet tyre compounds recieved an adjustment to grip levels.
- The low downforce package was removed, leaving a single wing package available for use.
|Round||Race Title||Grand Prix||Circuit||Conditions||Date||Start Time|
|1||Australian Grand Prix||Australian GP||Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne||TBC||7th March 2017||14:00||19:00|| |
|2||Russian Grand Prix||Russian GP||Sochi Autodrom, Sochi||TBC||21st March 2017||14:00||19:00|| |
|3||Chinese Grand Prix||Chinese GP||Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai||TBC||4th April 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|4||Spanish Grand Prix||Spanish GP||Valencia Street Circuit, Valencia||TBC||18th April 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|5||Austrian Grand Prix||Austrian GP||Red Bull Ring, Spielberg||TBC||2rd May 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|6||Monaco Grand Prix||Monaco GP||Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo||TBC||16th May 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|7||Canadian Grand Prix||Canadian GP||Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal||TBC||30th July 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|8||British Grand Prix||British GP||Silverstone Circuit, Northamptonshire||TBC||13th June 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|9||Hungarian Grand Prix||Hungarian GP||Hungaroring, Budapest||TBC||27th June 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|10||German Grand Prix||German GP||Nurburgring, Nürburg||TBC||25th July 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|11||Belgian Grand Prix||Belgian GP||Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa||TBC||8th August 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|12||Italian Grand Prix||Italian GP||Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, Monza||TBC||22nd August 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|13||Singapore Grand Prix||Singapore GP||Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore||TBC||5th September 2017||20:00||18:00||19:00|
|14||Japanese Grand Prix||Japanese GP||Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka||TBC||19th September 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|15||United States Grand Prix||United States GP||Circuit of the Americas, Austin||TBC||3rd October 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|16||Mexican Grand Prix||Mexican GP||Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City||TBC||17th October 2017||14:00||18:00||19:00|
|17||Brazilian Grand Prix||Brazilian GP||Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo||TBC||31st October 2017||14:00||19:00|| |
|18||Abu Dhabi Grand Prix||Abu Dhabi GP||Yas Marina Circuit, Yas Island||TBC||14th November 2017||17:00||19:00|| |
The 2017 testing schedule is as follows:
|Preseason Test||21st Feb 2017||Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir|
- The Bahrain Grand Prix, Turkish Grand Prix and Dutch Grand Prix were removed from the calendar, the Dutch round having been replaced with the German Grand Prix in 2016.
- The location of the Spanish Grand Prix changed from the Circuit de Catalunya to the Valencia Street Circuit, Valencia hosting the Spanish Grand Prix for the first time since 2009 and for the first time in Formula Challenge history.
- The location of the German Grand Prix changed from the Hockenheimring to the Nurburgring.
- The Singapore Grand Prix and Chinese Grand Prix returned to the calendar after being removed in 2016 and 2015 respectively.
- The season-ending race was changed from the Brazilian Grand Prix to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.